Application materials for the Institute for Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Master’s program and Graduate Certificate are available online from the Georgia State University College of Arts and Sciences Office of Graduate Studies, which can be reached at 404-413-5040. For the M.A. Program you should submit all application materials by February 1st.
Below are the application requirements for the College of Arts and Sciences, requirements for international students, and additional requirements for the Institute for Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. GRE scores are no longer required for application and admission to WGSS at GSU.
Application Requirements for the College of Arts and Sciences
- College of Arts and Sciences Application for Graduate Study
- $50.00 application fee using check, money order, or credit card: Visa, Mastercard, or American Express. Write your social security number on the check or money order.
- One official transcript from each college or university attended.
Requirements for International Students
- Official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or GSTEP scores
- Financial statement with supporting documents
Additional Application Requirements for the Institute for Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies M.A. Program
- Three letters of recommendation addressing your ability to undertake graduate study
- Written statement of purpose of 750-1000 words (included in application form)
- An academic writing sample
Submit all M.A. application materials by February 1st. Students are admitted to the M.A. program in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies in the fall semester only. Your complete application must be received by the Graduate Office of Arts and Sciences by the February 1st deadline to be considered in the first decision-making process. Later applications may be considered.
Your application form must be accompanied by the following:
• three letters of recommendation
• all college and university transcripts
• a written statement of purpose (750-1000 words)
• an academic writing sample
The written statement of purpose should be between 750 and 1000 words. A strong statement of purpose will give a clear indication of one's research interests and goals.
The major source of funding for WGSS M.A. students is to receive a graduate research assistantship (GRA). Students apply for a GRA when they apply for admittance into the program.
Students may also contact the Office of Student Financial Aid at 404.413.2400 to discuss student loans and other financial assistance.
The WGSS can also help students organize unpaid internships that may enhance their qualifications for certain professional positions after graduation. Those interested in an unpaid internship should speak to the Director of Undergraduate Studies, who has a list of community organizations with whom students may work.