Graduate Certificate Program
The study of women, gender, and sexualities in their multiple racial and class dimensions and cultural contexts is a growing field of inquiry in many disciplines. More and more jobs are framed with an expectation of some background in feminist analysis. As an endeavor that is both interdisciplinary and transnational, the Institute for Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies contributes to the education of its own graduate students and students in other departments, colleges, and schools of Georgia State University.
This certificate program allows interested students to receive explicit acknowledgement of their work in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Some may simply want recognition of a strength reflected in their course of study. Others may wish to pursue employment for which a certificate is deemed an advantage.
Certificate Degree Requirements
The Graduate Certificate in WGSS is available to eligible graduate students who successfully complete five graduate courses in WGSS with a grade of B or better in each. Three of these courses must come from the graduate core: WGSS 8001 (Feminist Theories), WGSS 8002 (Globalization and Gender), WGSS 8003 (New Directions in Feminism), WGSS 8004 (Feminist Methodologies), WGSS 8005 (Proseminar), or WGSS 8006 (Feminist Pedagogies). The remaining two courses must be drawn from graduate courses bearing a WGSS prefix. Only one course can originate from the student’s home department.
All students seeking the WGSS Graduate Certificate must submit a formal application through the Office of Graduate Studies of the College of Arts and Sciences. Applications are accepted three times per year: July 1 (for Fall semester), November 15 (for Spring semester), and April 1 (for Summer semester).
Students apply online, using the standard online Graduate Application. GRE scores are no longer required for application and admission to WGSS at GSU. Please contact the Director of Graduate Studies with any additional questions.
Graduate Certificate Application Requirements
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement of 750-1000 words
- Official Transcripts (one from each institution attended)
- Application fee
The following students are eligible:
- Students who are enrolled in an M.A. or Ph.D. program in another department or institute at Georgia State University must complete an online application, but existing materials on file with the Graduate Office may be used for the application, and the application fee may be waived. Once you have filled out a new online application for the Certificate program, and attached a short personal statement about why you wish to receive the Certificate, contact the WGSS liaison in the Graduate Office [John Stewart] to request that your transcripts and letters of recommendation be used for this application as well. Also let him know that you are a current student and would like to request the application fee waiver.
- Students who apply solely for the Graduate Certificate in WGSS must submit a complete application for the Graduate Certificate, including fees, to the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Students in the WGSS M.A. degree program who are unable to complete the program, but would like to receive the Certificate, may do so if they have fulfilled the Certificate course requirements (5 WGSS courses with a grade of “B” or better). These students must complete a new online application for the Certificate (rather than M.A.) program but can use the existing materials on file by following the procedure outlined above.
Students can apply three times per year:
- July 1 for Fall semester
- November 15 for Spring semester
- April 1 for Summer Semester
Completion of Program
Certificate Students must notify the WGSS graduate director via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) when they have completed coursework. You must notify the graduate director before graduation so that the certificate will be recorded on your transcripts. Please send you name and panther ID number. In addition, students will need to apply for graduation from the certificate program via their PAWS account.